Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilimanjaro Challenge

Friday 8 June 2012

Decision made - Mt Kilimanjaro delayed until 2013

Hello everyone

Well here we are almost a week has passed since our very successful 2012 challenge was completed. Aching muscles are now becoming a distant memory and the personal understandings of what a great achievement has taken place is now sinking in with all the successful members of a truly magnificent team of willing walkers. I can't express enough times how very grateful I am to all who took on the challenge, for their teamwork, dedication and enthusiasm. It is all of you that made it the huge success it was. I especially love how so many have expressed a wish to be notified of next years challenge and your willingness to support War on Cancer, the cause and myself - I am indeed a very lucky lass.

I have gotten over the disappointment of my own 3 peaks challenge, and accept it was never going to happen with being poorly. I can very happily say that I with my cousins Andrea and Simon ( who are training for a Sept climb of Ben Nevis ) Sue and Jeannie are to have another climb of Whernside on June 16th and hope to see a big improvement of my own climb while not been poorly. This is great and I now push myself forward towards the day I take on all three! I always knew it was going to be a really big ask, what with only stopping the cancer prevention drug a matter of around 10 weeks ago and I have had very little time back in the gym after nothing for over 6 months. I am by far my own worst critic and I struggle not to be too harsh on my performances, but it is this drive that keeps me on track...I always calm down from my initial disappointment and become more circumspect after a few days. So with all that in mind, and the fact I was so ill...I am very pleased that I completed Whernside on challenge day.

What I loved is how the challenge got people out of the house training, the more the better I say...so with this in mind, the big yearly challenge will always be something physical. I want people to go exercise - walk, swim, go to the gym...I don't care which it is as long as people do it. I have said before and will always continue to do so . Exercising is a positive pro-active way to prevent certain cancers - to help prevent and/or improve Osteoporosis. Your body releases good chemicals into your body that improve your mood. You tone up your body, getting rid of dangerous fat and turn your muscles lean.....this makes you feel better as your body shape improves, your energy levels increase... you feel happier about yourself, so your self esteem and self confidence improve....need I go on?....I was hooked at ...exercise helps prevent certain cancers myself!... so please, get out and exercise....pro-actively help yourself and your body fight against illness and disease ...thank you.

I have loads of ideas for next years challenge and look forward to deciding which one in the next few months....after which I will announce it, leaving plenty of time for training etc. I'm also thinking of sorting out a "fun weekend" for those who want to do it....because despite how tough the 3 Peaks challenge was and how tired people were, they all had fun. So I'm thinking maybe a fun weekend will be great for our "team" of family and friends where we can have some gentle rivalry, tackle some fun activities and generally had a good laugh....we'll see how receptive everyone is to the idea when I've checked out the details.

Lost Earth Adventures is a fantastic adventure/ travel company and I highly recommend them if you are wanting to do something a bit different or travel off the beaten track while incorporating some adventure in to it. Seriously check out Richard & Sarah's company, you'll be amazed what they offer - and I guarantee you the personal touch. I and everyone who did the challenge had a great time and WoC will definitely be collaborating with LEA for many years to come!

The events coming up in the next few months are all fun chilled out events that need no training - well unless you feel the need to get in training for the 3 legged fancy dress pub crawl in August ha ha !

So I have been honest with myself and now acknowledge I will now way be ready to tackle Mt.Kilimanjaro this year - does this upset me? damn right it does, but I have to say I can't get myself fit enough after the last 6/12 months I had on the Letrozole to give myself a shot of achieving the climb. So with that in mind - I get back in the gym, keep working hard, go back and climb the 3 peaks individually with a plan to do all three has part of my training and look forward to the dry season in Tanzania of Jan - mid-Mar 2013....if this still as we get closer to it seems too early - I will move back to Sept 2013. I have given myself 12 months to get back my fitness, and I think it will be safe to say, at that point I'm going to probably be as good as it's going to get.

Until next time

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment