Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilimanjaro Challenge

Thursday 9 August 2012

Actively helping ourselves

Hello everyone

I have been very cheered as I've been out power walking with my dog at the amount of people out exercising. I'm very fortunate where I live to be able to go walking in beautiful surroundings like this picture shows. This is the famous Bingley five rise locks that were built in 1774, the locks rise a total of 60 feet over the five locks. A little further down the canal are the  three rise locks which cover 30 feet . These locks are situated on the Leeds/Liverpool canal, and where locks are commonplace along England's canals, the five rise is unique.

The wonderful Olympics will have encouraged folks outdoors and this is fantastic news, for the parents whose child/children have got caught up in the buzz, keep them exercising and give them a start in life built around a healthy lifestyle with a good mix of exercise. We only get one body and need to understand it is in our interests to look after it as much as possible.

The amount of people enjoying the canal towpath has been great, from the walkers, to families and the cyclists, although I do wish the cyclists would show a little more respect for other enjoying the canal. Many don't even have a bell to alert others that they are approaching, and in some cases far too fast. Molly my dog actually got clipped twice on Wednesday by cyclists. She now has a sore shoulder, but it could quite as easily have been a child that they clipped. They were going too fast to have stopped in time. So if you are reading this and like cycling on the canal as I do....please be better aware of others around you - it is afterall there for all of us to use!

I've been back in the gym this week after my recovery time from my day surgery the other week. I have been much encouraged with my breathing, it is definitely improved and makes me think I must have had a virus or something. So back to trying to get as fit as possible and build up my stamina. I have two challenges that didn't happen this year that I want to catch up on next year - so 2013.....a big year for me personally, I love challenging myself, it keeps me motivated to get out there pushing myself to get back to the old fitter me as much as possible. I fact I plan to be fitter than I was pre - cancer diagnosis!

It's 4.5 months since I decided to call it a day on taking my cancer prevention drug, and I have seen a massive improvement in myself physically. I am still improving and have no regrets to what I did. I understand the possibilities and risks from my decision, but can tell all of you, that for me personally ( and it is very much a personal decision ) it was the right thing to do. I have lost over 26lbs in this time, my joint stiffness is much improved, the muscle, joint and bone pains have reduced so much, I said I would like to live with no regrets and this is one of those moments. Life is for living, not existing, and that's what I'm doing.

Again I'll ask for those who still have Yorkshire 3 peak sponsor money to collect to let me know, I would really like to write a blog announcing how much we raised through everyone's fantastic efforts by the end of August, so please lets get it collected in and show everyone what a great effort we did.

I want to say RIP to a dear friend, Mags, who valiantly fought until the end, but was sadly taken from us very recently. A great lady, who will be missed by many.

Sending positive thoughts to my cousin's wife Jane who has just started her invasive treatments, and I know you will all send her positive vibes too. You are a fighter and I know you are going to keep fighting positively through your treatments - love to you and Stuart.

So come on everyone, after we have been sat glued to the Olympics and all those amazing athletes who have performed beyond even their dreams with all the smashed Olympic, World and Personal bests in the biggest arena in the sporting calender. Let us all get out exercising, setting ourselves targets, motivated to besting our own personal bests whenever we can. Positively helping our bodies to fight off certain cancers, potential illnesses and help us to feel better about ourselves. Increase our energy levels and help our metabolisms kick in to burn off our energy, rather than store it as fat for another time. We can all do something to help ourselves to our own individual limitations. I hope you take up the challenge to help your body to help you!

Until next time

Tracy




No comments:

Post a Comment