Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilimanjaro Challenge

Tuesday 17 April 2012

A great start to the week!

Hello everyone

I hope this short blog finds you all well.

I was in the gym yesterday and I had a great workout, because we have now less than seven weeks until the 3 Peak challenge, and I have over 6 months of catching up to do, I am going to try and hit the gym everyday. I am feeling much better in myself and even though I know the 3 peaks are going to be a tough challenge for myself, I am confident I will manage to complete it! I hope those of you tackling this event with me are getting some good training sessions in :) I'm going today as soon as I've posted up the blog.

This will be a good indicator for how much more work I'll need to do to make sure I'm in a fit enough position to complete my Mt.Kilimanjaro challenge later this year. I am determined to complete my personal set challenge this year so it is to schedule, but will make my final decision later. I won't go if I think I will fail - failing is not an option for me. Some of my family think I should delay because of the rough time I've had in the last year due to the medications. I don't want to do that if I can help it.

I'm already looking further forward to what challenge I will set myself for 2013. I have decided after the 3 peak challenge to further look into what requirements I need to make War on Cancer a registered charity. I plan to carry on with this and because I plan to raise over £5000.00 per year - it must be registered. So I need to get on with that, I will after this year be concentrating on using the money raised to benefit research, hospices and HODU units in the Yorkshire area only. As the adverts keep telling us, Yorkshire has the worst survival rates for cancer in the country......so any money we raise will be put to good use.

I believe that War on Cancer can help make a difference to peoples lives, believe it or not speaking out loud about cancer, it's treatments and how you can live positively while surviving it already makes a difference to other people's lives.....they see what you can do, how you can challenge yourselves, how it helps family and loved ones come to terms that you have a life threatening illness, because they struggle as much if not more than the cancer sufferer in some cases as they struggle to accept they cannot make it all better.

As a lass surviving cancer, I can tell you I am very lucky, things are going ok, and there are many other cancer sufferers who don't just have the cancer to contend with, they may have many other illnesses going on as well. I know when I was having my chemo, it was a great feeling knowing by talking and dealing with my own condition with great humour it would lift others in the HODU up, they would start conversing and generally end up having a laugh with me. I would rib the nurses endlessly and I have to say, that even going through the chemo - I looked forward to seeing the medical staff and other patients when I went in for my treatments....even then I always tackled the cancer discussions head on. I found it more beneficial to all involved to break down the taboo straight away. I remember my dad after he had been diagnosed and had his surgery....he couldn't say the word cancer for over 18 months. It's this fear we have to break down and get rid of, get cancer out there and speak openly about it....my aim is through this blog to show we don't need to let it control our lives - and that we need to live our lives regardless of the cancer as much as possible.

Remember all of us have the ability to challenge ourselves to our own personal limits - whether it be mentally, emotionally or physically, we can do it - set yourselves a little target and work towards it. Living positively gives you great rewards on a daily basis - me?.....I live my life with no regrets.....I hope you all can do that too!

Until next time

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment