Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilimanjaro Challenge

Sunday 15 April 2012

Wow seven weeks - who's up for a 12 hour hike?!!

Hello everyone :)

Can you believe it is a mere seven weeks until we crazy few do War on Cancer's first annual Yorkshire 3 peak sponsored challenge! - the great thing is we haven't even done this years and I am already getting queries about next year! thank you you eager people lol.

Please if you are still in talks with friends/family/colleagues about doing it this year, you need to make up your minds - time is rapidly running out, I would love for you to register and come join me.....this is a fantastic event to push yourselves on a tough endurance walk in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales, while raising money and awareness for cancer charities.

I hope all who have registered are cracking on with their training ( don't all show me up too much!). I am getting so giddy for it, even though I have such a lot of catching up to do in the fitness/ stamina stakes.....somehow, I will finish ( no way am I not getting my certificate hee hee ).

For those of you who have registered, I thank you very much! - the Yorkshire 3 peaks was actually the first challenge I thought about setting myself while having chemo, I decided to do the London Moonwalk instead. I knew at some point I would have a go though :)

If you cannot do the walk, but want to sponsor or donate, you can by clicking the donate button on here, it links straight through to Paypal - a very safe and secure way of sending money online. Anything you can do to support is most gratefully received.

I have been off my cancer drug for about 3 weeks now, I can feel improvements to my health and body almost on a daily basis - each day that goes by validates that I have indeed made the right decision for me. It was a very difficult decision to make and not one that was made rashly. I have already has significant improvements in a lot of my joints, the muscle and bone pains are lessening and I have got back into the gym! - my biggest challenge right now is to not get over zealous and hit the gym too hard and knock myself back. I am feeling very optimistic that over the next twelve months I can get back the old me. This fills me with a serenity I have not really had in the last couple of years.

I told my doctor this week that I have come off the cancer drug ( wasn't sure what his reaction would be as I've been lectured about thinking about it in the past year). He was actually fine and agreed that quality of life is very important. He asked if I'd told my doctors at the hospital - I told him not yet, but I plan to tell them in May when I go for my six monthly consultation and mammogram. He said they will probably throw lots of statistics at me ( pity they didn't when I was asking for that information so I could make an informed decision as to whether to come off the drug or try and struggle through the next few years still on it ),I said it won't make me change my mind, not now I've seen and felt such an improvement in myself. Afterall I've seen the Rheumatologist and had it confirmed my problems were definitely medication based.

My doctor made a very clear view of life has a cancer surviver. He said I would fall into one of two groups - the first group will never get another tumour no matter whether they did or didn't have follow up drugs after the invasive treatments have finished, and the second group will get a re-occurrance or new primary no matter what follow up treatments they had - as to which group I fall into - no-one knows. I for one want to lead a positive, humour filled life being as active as I can while carrying on trying to break down the taboo barrier associated with cancer while raising awareness and money to do my bit to help eradicate cancer for future generations - and of course pushing myself to my limits in my personal challenges.

I have had my first physio session Friday gone on my back, she is confident they can get me some good improvements. I am really happy about that as I wasn't sure if it was the Osteoporosis that was causing me such discomfort in my lower back - happy it's not that and hopefully I will get enough flexibility back to be able to get out on my bike. All in all a fantastic positive week for me from the medical professions, my first in a very long time.

Please seriously think about the 3 peak challenge - if you don't think you can make it - remember if I can do it, you can too! come help make a difference :)

Until next time

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment