Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilimanjaro Challenge

Saturday 14 January 2012

First event/fundraising meeting of the New Year coming up.

Hello everyone on this chilly Yorkshire Saturday!

I hope everyone is getting back into the swing of things after the holidays?!! I always find this is the hardest one to recover from, I think it's a mixture of things really...it's about the only holiday where most of your family and friends are off at the same time, we know the rest of the year people take different holidays. Those of you on monthly salaries have the nightmare of a really long month....I always hated this one, it felt like forever before you got paid again and many people feel the strain as we overspent on gifts and overindulged on many things ourselves. We all tend to overdo it with the partying and celebrating too!

Even I, who is most definitely more sedate these days....well on the alcohol front anyway lol! I like most drank too much and too often....I'm not really supposed to drink that much on the medications I'm on...but hey, it's the first year I've been up to it properly since before my diagnosis.

I went out and celebrated bringing in the New Year with loved ones ( family and friends ), missed the ones who couldn't be there with me ( you know who you are ) and had a really great time! the last time I had drinks and celebrated New Year properly was 2008...so yes a little while ago! I am happy to report that I didn't have a hangover the next day but was beyond tired as Jackie and I drank the early hours away....I went to bed at 05.10am....see life in the old bird yet hee hee! I will say my liver and kidneys did in fact not share the same thoughts as me about the alcoholic celebrations and made their presence known for a few days after ( bah humbug body... sheesh....give me a break here! )

We have still yet to agree a date for the regular team of loyal War on Cancer fundraising volunteers to get together...but I will grind them down lol!

However...here's the big one, Dave hero and I will be meeting this coming Thursday to discuss and get the ball rolling on the Yorkshire 3 peak sponsored challenge! I know there is going to be a lot of work sorting this out, but I am determined to do my best. There is a fair amount of interest in this which is fantastic news....my cousin Aaron wants the go ahead asap so he can sort out flights home from Germany so he can take part! thank you Aaron for making this a truly European event! and thank you for caring enough about the cause to travel over for it!

There are many reasons for wanting this to be a success...I hope it is a smashing success and that it becomes an annual event, it will raise awareness and money for War on Cancer's cause, will help people get a little bit fitter as they will need to train for this endurance event. Exercise is fantastic for the body and mind, helps prevent Osteoporosis and other illnesses and for those of us who have already been diagnosed with it, it helps prevent further bone density loss....an all round winner.

If this event is going to take place, I will be seeking some publicity for it with our local paper, radio etc. The plan is to get War on Cancer out there this year and have people taking about it, supporting it and encouraging others to do the same. It is a big year not only for War on Cancer, but myself too...the 3 peak challenge will be great for our training for Mt. Kilimanjaro in the Autumn of this year.

I will update the blog after Thursday with any information I have or information about my next steps to setting it up.

I have got myself back into the gym...very happy about it. I don't see the Rheumatologist until early March ( too far away not to train at all ), so I decided I would dose up on pain meds and see how I get on in the gym....I'm not going to push too hard and set myself back, but I need to get back at it...Giggly Sue and I went last Sat, did 35 mins in the gym....very happy with that and then called it a day. I wasn't too bad the day after,I could on pain killers just about cope with the pain in my bones and joints....a success in my book! I am doing to behave and carry on as long as the pain doesn't get too much.

So until next time

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment