Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilamanjiro

Mount Kilimanjaro Challenge

Thursday 10 May 2012

I stand firm behind my decision to stop the cancer drug

Hello everyone

It was my six monthly appointment at the breast clinic today and this time it was my annual mammogram. I ended up at the hospital for two hours, some of the time due to normal delays and most due to a lengthy, shall I say lively discussion about my decision to stop the cancer prevention drug completely. This decision wouldn't be the right one for everyone, for me however, it definitely is, I have suffered greatly on the two different drugs I tried over a two year period. I have not even being in a position to work, I have had problems with many side effects, and quite a few very debilitating. Many people sail through the 5 years on the cancer prevention drug with no problems at all, for those it is okay to stay on the drug. For me, I believe I did the only sensible option available to me, stop. I had no end of problems, which in actual fact were still getting worse. The improvement in myself, my joints and my mobility in such a short period time, has validated my decision.

I went into the examination room, prepared for my physical and then a chat. The chat obviously revolved around my saying I'd stopped taking the Letrozole around 6/7 weeks ago, the doctor asked about the joint stiffness and pains. I said I'd seen the Rheumatologist and from that appointment it was confirmed that my problems were medication based and thankfully not inflammation, which would have indicated arthritis or rheumatism. I said it has only been a short time, but my joints,bones and muscles are getting better on what I believe is almost a daily basis.

I was getting statistics thrown at me, how the drugs show good long term survival etc. My stance was about quality of life, I said I understand the risks I'm taking, but on the cancer prevention drug, my quality of life was almost no existant, so if the drug increased my life by a few years, then I have gained nothing as I was too poorly to live them.He tried to talk me into trying another or even going back on Tamoxifen, I said no, I'm done with the drugs, they've caused enough long term problems for me in such a short period of time, some problems like the Osteoporosis that will never go away now. I said I'm hoping over the next 12 months to get back to the most physically fit I'm going to be, but definitely no more cancer drugs.  Eventually the doctor conceded that yes, quality of life is the most important thing. Wow it was a right debate!

I had my annual mammogram and then went to wait until they quickly check them over, I was called back in for another film to be taken after the original set. I should hear within 3 weeks...normally it's 2 weeks, I think they have a bit of a backlog, anyway, if I've not heard anything in 4 weeks,I'm to contact them.

I then went round to HODU (Hematology and Oncology Day Unit )to say hello to the medical staff...these fantastic nurse's looked after me throughout my chemo, and I love them!...we got on great, I was always kidding them on and we all bonded really well. So I went and Pip, Kathy, Audrey,Marie and Denise were on duty, I got big smiles, hugs and kisses from them all...how great is that in the hospital. I always pop in to see them whenever I'm there to show them how well I'm doing and to have a quick catch up. There has been some work done in HODU, new treatment rooms, the lounge area revamped and the such. It's looking good. That area is a great place when your a patient, the nurses and doctors really look after you.

When I got home, I have my referral appointment to see Mr.Flannigan who is taking over from the consultant Mr.Porter to see if he can get to the bottom of my bladder issues, I have been under Mr.Porter for 12 months, been suffering for 18 months and really would like an end to it all now. So Mr.Porter believes I need more tests,tests and a biopsy to see if they can get to the bottom of it, and apparently Mr.Flannigan is the man to do that.....I sincerely hope so :)

Today's photo is one of the many hundreds of Tulip varieties, I see Tulips and Daffodils and I finally think the dreary grey days of winter are over for a while. Everywhere you look is an explosion of colour, the trees in blossom and new leaves are sprouting everywhere, the variety of flowers in bloom...it cannot do anything but lift your spirits and sooth your soul. Wherever you are, stop look around you and absorb the colour. Hope you are all having a great day.

I want to wish my big brother Graham all the best for this coming Saturday when he is taking part in the annual Keswick to Barrow walk. This is a massive 40 mile walk!!!....Go bro, I know you can do it!....This is one event I've been considering adding to War on Cancer's fundraising calender...what do you think folks?...would you be willing to take it on?...now that would be an achievement! One for me to think about.....

Well I'm off. so until next time

Tracy






No comments:

Post a Comment